The original campus of the Central School was established at Gough Street, north of Hollywood Road. It was the first government school in Hong Kong providing western education to the public at the upper primary and secondary levels. Dr. Sun Yat-sen studied at the school in 1884. In 1889, the School was relocated to a site at the junction of Aberdeen Street and Hollywood Road. In 1894, the Central School was further renamed as Queen’s College, and the name stayed until today. The school buildings at Hollywood Road were severely damaged during the World War II and was rebuilt as the first Police Married Quarters for married junior police officers, which was left unused since 2000.
In October 2009, the Former Hollywood Road Police Married Quarters was included as one of the eight projects implemented by the Development Bureau, to be preserved under the “Conserving Central” of the Policy Address. In November 2010, the project was awarded to the Musketeers Education and Culture Charitable Foundation Limited, with the support of Hong Kong Design Centre, Hong Kong Polytechnic University and the Hong Kong Design Institute of the Vocational Training Council, to transform the site into a creative industries landmark named “PMQ”, thereby creating a new platform and instilling power in Hong Kong’s creative industries.
Central School established at Gough Street.
Dr. Sun Yat-sen studied in the Central School.
Central School moved to Hollywood Road and was renamed as Victoria College.
It was further renamed as Queen’s College.
During the Japanese Occupation, the school was temporary closed and occupied by the Japanese as the headquarters of a contingent of Japanese cavalry. The school building then caught fire and was razed to the ground towards the end of the war.
Queen’s College moved to the temporary campus at Kennedy Road.
The school buildings were demolished for the construction of the Police Married Quarters.
The Police Married Quarters established.
One of the buildings serving as the Hollywood Road Police Primary School was converted into the Central Junior Police Call Clubhouse.
All residents had moved out from the quarters.
The Antiquities and Monuments Office (AMO) had conducted several investigations at the site to review its heritage value, and found the remnants of the Central School within and around the site.
The Government announced that the Former Hollywood Road Police Married Quarters would be removed from the List of Sites for Sale by Application.
The AMO rated the Former Hollywood Road Police Married Quarters as Grade 3
Historic Building in Hong Kong.
The Secretary for Development announced that the Former Hollywood Road Police Married Quarters would be transformed into a creative industries landmark named “PMQ” by the Musketeers Education and Culture Charitable Foundation Ltd. (Musketeers Foundation), with the support of Hong Kong Design Centre, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Hong Kong Design Institute of the Vocational Training Council.
Commencement of the renovation under the supervision of the Architectural Services Department.
The PMQ started to operate.
Special thanks to the following organisations in granting the right to use the above photographs: (in alphabetical order)